[BlueOnyx:13503] EMail clogging up - DNS?

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Fri Aug 9 11:22:42 -05 2013

We've had this happen every now and then, particularly during heavy
usage times on the server.

Running 5106R on an Aventurin{e} VPS. What happens is that email sent to
our hosted domains gets stuck in /var/spool/mqueue and not delivered. We
can get thousands of messages stuck there in the course of several
hours. When I shell into the machine and try an nslookup usms.org (our
main domain), I get a timeout saying ";; connection timed out; no
servers could be reached". So it appears that is the reason why the mail
isn't getting through - it can't find the domain that is hosted on this
server.

I've tried restarting DNS through the gui or via the command line using
named restart to no avail. I've tried restarting sendmail via the shell.
Nothing I try seems to un-stick this except re-booting that VPS.
HOWEVER, if I notice the problem late at night I can just let it go and
one of the automated nightly server tasks will un-stick it. Does anyone
have any ideas what it is that may be working overnight that I can try
via the command line? Re-booting is too big a hammer to hit it with
during the day when we have important activities going on that we don't
want to interrupt.

-jim