[BlueOnyx:13548] Re: Crashed drive

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 15 21:51:52 -05 2013

Hi Greg,

> I had major hard drive issues today. Now that I'm back up I have two BOs that will not boot. They have kernel panic. What can I do?  I downloaded a rescue cd but I still can't do a check disk on the drive. Please give me some ideas. Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that. But that's not much information to assist you
with. When does the kernel panic happen? Right after boot, or when
starting services. Does it always happen after starting the same
service(s) or randomly?

What's the matter with the rescue CD? When you boot with the BlueOnyx CD
inserted, you can choose the "Rescue Mode" option (second option from
the bottom).

That will boot a live-cd image which allows you to choose language and
keyboard settings, allows you to configure the network and gives you the
option to mount the disks.

If you mount the disks, you can use "chroot /mnt/sysimage" afterwards to
work on the disks as if you had booted off them directly. Well - almost.
But it allows you to install/uninstall stuff or to modify files or do
some diagnostics.

One of the diagnostics I'd run is an "rpm -Va" to see which files were
modified from their original RPM provided state. This usually shows all
the modified config files, but if it shows modified binaries, then
that's often (but not always) a good indication that something might be
wrong with that file.

The question would also be if the kernel panics happen while you're in
rescue mode.

Although Kernel panics can be software related it's more common to see
them when there is flaky hardware. A screenshot of the error message
during a kernel panic could be helpful to troubleshoot this further.