[BlueOnyx:13569] Re: kickstart: eth0 does not exist

Maurice de Laat mdlaat at muisnetwerken.nl
Sun Aug 18 11:41:47 -05 2013

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 12:32:54AM -0500, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Looks like the kernel on the install CD doesn't recognize these NICs due
> to missing drivers. I think the i217LM are fairly new, aren't they?

I think I have found a workaround for me. And maybe others, so here it
goes for the archives:

Putting in an extra pci nic that is being recognised by the install cd.
Finish the installation and reboot. [1]

Now, if I boot the system from the new harddisk, I get a kernel panic @
bootup. It seems related to usb. To resolve this I once again boot with
the install cd, chosing the option to rescue the local system. Chroot to
the mounted hard drive, do a "yum update kernel", and reboot. [2]

Now I am able to boot of the hard drive, and finish the blueonyx
installation and setup.

By the way: I saw a message that a system would not boot when no serial
ports are present. I can confirm that. At both point [1] and [2] the
system will not start if all serial ports are disabled in the bios.
--
Maurice de Laat