[BlueOnyx:14067] Re: block ports

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Dec 3 11:29:02 -05 2013

On 12/3/2013 9:27 AM, wcstaff wrote:
> looking for methods to successfully block spam?
> mailscanner, spam assassin etc does not seem to phase what we are getting.

SpamAssassin and the tools used with AV-SPAM can be very effective.  I
say that based upon our customer reports and input.

Every situation is different, and I hate to try and shoe-horn a solution
designed for one purpose onto another.   But AV-SPAM has shown itself to
be pretty versatile, and you do have the ability to get "under the hood"
and tune things.

The worst thing you can do is simply install a solution and then wait
for it to work.   In my experience, the results will always be
disappointing.

My advice is to take a look at the email traffic that you're getting.
What's working, what isn't?  Then you can map out a plan to move
forward.  Or if necessary, have someone consult with you on some options.

We do offer a hosted spam-filtering solution that is based on some
open-source stuff as well as our past 13 or 14 years of development on
the package.  We don't really advertise it.  And of course there's a
whole bevy of stuff out there that does the same thing.

For BlueOnyx users, AV-SPAM seems to offer a really good balance and I
would recommend giving it a try.   But as I said, it's important to have
a good look at the traffic that you're getting so that some decisions
can be made as to how best to tune the spam-fighting.  And that goes for
whatever solution you wind up selecting.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services