[BlueOnyx:14082] Re: 5106 PHP update

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Dec 10 18:40:48 -05 2013

Hi George,

On 12/10/2013 5:20 PM, George F. Nemeyer wrote:
> I've got a 5106 install that needs a later PHP version than the stock
> 5.1.6 which has JSON support for a forum that the machine is running.
> Apparently 5.2 is the oldest one that has JSON.
>
> After hunting around, I found this site: <http://iuscommunity.org>
>
> It's run by some folks from RackSpace Hosting that needed to keep a bunch
> of older servers going.  The site specializes in PHP and MySQL builds and
> also has some other updated utilites and programs for older verisons of
> RH5/6 and Centos5/6.  There's individual repositories for the various
> releases.  It needs the epel (extra programs for enterprize linux) repos
> for some dependences.
>
> There's also a yum "replace" module provided that helps simplify things.
>
> I gave it a try, basically following the instructions here:
> <http://www.howtoforge.com/centos-5.6-php53-common-conflicts-with-php-common>

Uh oh.... it looks like you did this in spite of the strong warnings in
BlueOnyx to the contrary.    As expected, you have hosed BlueOnyx in the
process.

Your best option at this point would be to remove all of the RPMs that
came in as part of your "upgrade" process and get yourself back to a
stock box.   If you look around the list archives, you'll take heart in
that you're certainly not the first person to make this mistake, and
probably won't be the last.   There are ample threads available that
will help you in the process.

Then go to the BlueOnyx Shop after you have gotten yourself straightened
back out and grab the PHP & MySQL upgrade packages that you need.   They
are specially designed to install without causing problems.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services