[BlueOnyx:11943] Re: Blocking brute force SSH login attempts

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 09:14:41 -05 2013

As far as I know... yes and no....

BO will block accounts and IPs that are attempted to be brute forced, but the account needs to exist, well that has been my experience....

I tend to use the iptables and block /32 or if it is from China or other known hacking countries then a /24 is a minimum...

I have been thinking of routing everything through a firewall or sorts so that the hackers will usually hit it first then get the IP blocked (as all other servers would be on a virtual LAN)... or something like that.... but it needs more thought at this stage and I just dont have the time to look too far into it.

If anyone has a good solution (preferrably free) then I am open to suggestions too (much like most on this list I would assume).

HTH

Brian