[BlueOnyx:11993] Re: AV Spam Info

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jan 14 22:50:35 -05 2013

On 1/14/2013 5:08 PM, David Hahn wrote:
> Chris, went with what you recommended on the filtering. Slick package!
>
> Not exactly sure what these mean:
>    No clamd server appears to be available...
>    ClamAV: thread_create() failed: 11, try again...
>
> Guessing the clam server is not reachable and it can't connect? are
> these common?

You may want to try restarting clamd.

> Do we need to reboot when I see these?
>    @reboot jobs will be run at computer's startup. ()
>    @reboot jobs will be run at computer's startup. ()

No you should not need to reboot, this appears informational.

> Anyone know anything about the DCC registration costs
> or where to get more information on setting that up.
>
> Can mail sent to users the 5100 be scanned on the 5106 then sent to the
> 5100?

There is not an efficient way to set this up that I'm familiar with.

> These 2 packages use a lot less cpu than the older versions. (5100R)
> Is there a howto to filter the mail going to the older 5100 through the
> 5106? The 5100 has the AV Spam but it's very outdated and uses lots of cpu.

Unfortunately 5100R and 5102R are quite old and have been deprecated.
Many admins will warn against their use entirely since they've been
dropped from support.  There have not been any new packages developed
for those systems in a long time, and I don't think it's even possible
to find old BlueQuartz packages commercially since the advent of the new
BlueQuartz shop.

You may consider migrating your old BlueQuartz users to your BlueOnyx
assets.  Based on the efficiencies that you've seen you may find that it
now makes sense to consolidate.   Although this is never the answer
folks want to hear, your best bet may be to wean off of the old
BlueQuartz box(es), and this may be incentive.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services