[BlueOnyx:12010] Re: Varnish Cache

Frank Soyer fsoyer at systea.net
Wed Jan 16 10:27:49 -05 2013

Hi list,
I come back to this subject after a customer of mine ask me to implement
Varnish for an e-business site.
I know all what was said here about optimizing code, and so on, but
admit that providing a cache for almost static parts of sites can
increase the performances.
APC or Eaccelerator do that easily on Blueonyx but Varnish, in opinion
of a lot of ebusiness developers, is the best cache system for this kind
of sites.
And, last but not least, as Michael said : Varnish can have other
usages, load balancing, TTLs...

What I don't understand, that's if it is complicated to consider this
tool in Blueonyx. In fact, in its simpliest usage (caching sites), the
only thing to do is to put Apache on another port, and Varnish listening
to port 80.
Is there terribly difficult to enhanced the GUI to permit default port
modification from 80 to, e.g. 8080 ? In a first time this may be done
perhaps even in a conf file, not GUI.

Does it involves only to put "8080" instead of "80" in the siteX files,
or very much more ?

Thanks.
Frank