[BlueOnyx:12038] Dracut can't mount LVM volumes

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Jan 18 00:54:58 -05 2013

Hi Blueonyx experts,

Can anyone help me with a LVM problem?  One of the servers I manage for a company was doing some weird things this afternoon.  While I don't like to reboot our servers for problems that are not system-related, I'd run out of ideas.  So I commanded a reboot.  BIG MISTAKE!  Now it won't come up.

The boot fails with: kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init

Working on it a bit - I've got the output coming to the screen.  And I get:

dracut: Scanning devices sda2 for LVM logical volumes VolGroup00/root VolGroup00/swap
dracut: Volume group VolGroup00 is exported
dracut: Volume group VolGroup00 is exported
dracut Warning: nNo root device "block:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-root" found
dracut Warning: LVM VolGroup00/root not found
dracut Warning: LVM VolGroup00/swap not found
dracut:

So apparently - dracut isn't able to find or mount the LVM partitions.  And I'm stuck.  Nothing I've found on the net is helping.  The suggestions I've found all require you to mount the LVM partitions under a rescue boot or a Knoppix boot - to find/fix the problem.  But its not working.

Has anyone got some experience with LVM and can provide suggestions?  I really need to get this server back up soon.

Thanks everyone.

Chuck