[BlueOnyx:12095] Re: Off server email issue

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Jan 25 12:51:39 -05 2013

Hi Jeffrey,

On 1/24/2013 4:30 AM, jeffrey Pellin - PX2 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an ongoing issue for us too.
>
> Is there any chance in future we can have an option on the GUI to make a
> client web only, email only, or web and email. Can't believe that we are
> the only other business with web clients with off server email, and with
> email only clients that would find this feature useful.

As Ken said previously, BlueOnyx works "out of the box" to handle this
sort of scenario.   It may just be that not everybody is clear on how to
make it work.  Indeed, it's possible that we could make it more
self-evident in a future GUI update.   For now, here is how you can
config a site to use email on an external server.

1. In Site Management for the domain, click to Services, Email.
2. "Disable Email for Domain" should be UN-checked.  That's right, do
NOT tick that box.
3. The field for "Email Server Aliases" should be BLANK.  Make sure the
domain is not in there.
4. Click Save.

That's it as far as the email config goes.   Like Ken has said, BlueOnyx
will now deliver mail to the domain as dictated by the MX record.

This brings up a point about the DNS, though.  Make sure that you have a
handle on the DNS for the domain.  If the domain has DNS configured on
the BlueOnyx server, the MX that's on the BlueOnyx DNS needs to be
right.  If you're not using BlueOnyx for the DNS at all, you may as well
pull all the records out.  Or at least make sure they reflect what is on
your actual nameservers.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services