[BlueOnyx:13347] Re: SSL certificate for email

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jul 15 17:31:46 -05 2013

Hi Dan,

On 7/15/2013 4:35 PM, Dogsbody wrote:

> On 15/07/2013 18:41, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
>> The SSL is installed already on the website and works fine.  Is there a
>> procedure to also use that certificate for email services?   Or is there
>> a procedure to install a signed cert for email?
 >
> I do this for my servers and there are a few gotchas but it kinda
> depends what you want to do....
>
> BlueOnyx 5108R will actually do all of this for you if you add a cert to
> the server via the GUI (Server Management, Security, SSL).  This cert
> will then be used by sendmail and dovecot although you do sometimes need
> to restart sendmail and dovecot to get it to reload the config.

Oh.... duh.   OK, yeah, I tried that and it works fine.   Seems I was
looking to make things more complicated than they need to be.

> Sendmail will talk SSL on all ports (with some exceptions) however IMAP
> and POP3 will only talk SSL on their respective SSL ports (993 & 995).
>
> As Richard mentions different clients then deal with the different
> servernames in different ways, some work, some don't.  If you can use a
> wildcard cert on the same domain  as the server hostname then great.

They will be interacting with the server as www.domain.tld in all cases.
   So having the cert configured as same works just fine.   I can see
that in some other cases, a wildcard cert would be desirable.

Thanks for the assist, gents!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services