[BlueOnyx:13412] Help Please: Problems with the DELL 1850 PowerEdge !!

gen at ercuk.com gen at ercuk.com
Thu Jul 25 05:49:10 -05 2013

Help...I have problems !

1: The server arrived and I looked it over, and it seemed OK, except:
...both the 2 HDD-Caddies didn't seem to be pushed all the way into their server slots.

...I found that each drive-caddy was being held slightly forward of their fully home position, by little metal tabs that were locating in the grove on the right-hand-side of each drive-caddy.

2: These tabs are each held in position on the face of the server, by 2 tork-screws, so to release the tabs: I removed the screws, and slid the HDD-Caddies out of their slots.
I checked them over, and they looked ok, so I pushed them all the way into their slots.

3: I installed the CD-Rom-drive, without any problem.
...(this involved removing the large top cover, so I also looked around inside to see if there was anything obviously loose, and all seemed ok)

4: I connected a power lead to PSU1, + a monitor, and keyboard.

5: I plugged in: And the sound of the (4) fans could be heard.

6: I switched on the server: And it sounded like Concord taking off, as all 4 fans seemed to be running at maximum speed !

7: Dells OS booted up, and I pressed F2 to display the 'Main System Set-up Program Screen'

8: I clicked enter, in the menu, at: Boot Sequence

...the 1st item listed was the: Floppy disk drive
...the 2nd item listed was the: CD-Rom drive  (ie the new drive I'd just installed)

...so I changed this around so that the 1st item listed was the now the: CD-Rom drive

...(No HDD's were listed here !)

9: Now according to the Dell-guide that I have, the next item listed in the menu should be: HDD Sequence
...but this was not listed, and it isn't listed anywhere else in this menu.

10: I inserted the BlueOnyx install disk: 64-bit install: BlueOnyx-5108R-CentOS-6.3
...and exited the Dell-Set-up-Screen.

11: System rebooted and started to run BlueOnyx, and a light-blue screen appeared, completely blank except for some very small navigation-text at the very top & bottom of the screen.

...I did what it said to go to the next screen, can't remember exactly what.

12: New screen appeared, with a small box in the centre, asking me if I wanted to continue with install, or exit.
...I clicked: install

13: New box said: No HDD detected.

14: I exited install and switched off server.

15: Throughout:
a: The green power light was on, and...
b: The 'amber system status indicator' (to the left of the right-hand HDD) was flashing.
c: And both continued to flash when the server was powered down.

Heeelp Pleeese !

Thanks Mac.