[BlueOnyx:12371] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Jeff Rhys-Jones jeffrhysjones at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 05:05:56 -05 2013

We have been moving customers over to the Interworx panel over the last few months - I have to say, it's pretty good.

I'm sure I will get flamed on here for mentioning it, but it's always a good idea to keep an eye on what other projects are doing, so BX can itself develop and 'keep up'.

Particular highlights of Interworx for us are:

1) The ability to install it, fully supported on top of Redhat / Oracle Linux with a single command via YUM.
2) Very good GUI - well maintained, worked on mobile devices also.
3) Ability to provide customers with jailed SFTP access without giving them a shell login (eliminating all that FTP firewall nonsense)
4) PHPMyadmin 3.5 included
5) Single click install of many popular web applications (Wordpress, VTiger CRM, Magento, etc) via SimpleScripts - included
6) Visual easy to configure firewall management - log in via HTTPS and enable ssh when you need it if you are worried about leaving it open all the time.
7) Plugin for Litespeed webserver integration - enabling easy compile of latest PHP 5.4.xx

The support system is ticketed, and replies typically come back within a few hours.

There are things not so good - changing a domain name after creation is a problem, there is no option to have a configurable php.ini per each site - you have to upload these manually. Plus yes it costs money!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love BX - and have been using it since BlueQuartz / Nuonce etc - and it does make a very fine mail appliance solution - however, it does feel somewhat clunky now.... yes it's 'free' but you also need to factor in the cost of all the add ons - for multiple servers, it starts to get expensive.

I would prefer to just pay $$ per license per month like with Interworx, and for all the essentials (PHP, PHPMyAdmin, AV Spam, etc) to all be included.

Moving to Litespeed has also shown me how much of a resource hog Apache is with SuPHP. Using SuPHP with Litespeed, there is almost no hit and it flys along. So I  think for the future - it would be great to see LiteSpeed integration with BX. NGINX is probably faster - but LiteSpeed has the Apache compatibility and would therefore be much easier to implement.

Just my 10c...

Jeff