[BlueOnyx:12386] 5106R performance issues

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Mar 5 09:49:49 -05 2013

I've been noticing that we have some 5106R boxes that have typically
been pretty good performers, but they are falling apart lately.  It's a
mixture of machines that we are running and some our customers are
running.   The symptoms are varied, and a bit erratic (which I will
list).  There is nothing that I have found that specifically ties
anything together, but I thought I would mention it in the event that
anybody else has noticed similar.

FWIW, none of the 5108R boxes I have access to have shared these symptoms.

-- takes an extraordinary long time to run nightly backups (raqbackup.sh).

-- cron.daily is set to run at 4am, but some jobs do not begin until
10am, finishing around 2pm.

-- ActiveMonitor reports "The FTP server is not running and could not be
restarted."

-- Dovecot will stop responding, requiring an admin to SSH and do
# killall -9 dovecot
# service dovecot start

-- ActiveMonitor reports "The SMTP server is not running and could not
be restarted."

-- Periodic "The CPU is being moderately used alerts.

Again, the only commonality is that the affected systems are 5106R.   Odd!

One thing we did find yesterday after hearing from a customer is that
several systems were being hit hard by 60.10.6.85 attempting to POST
garbage into various websites.  I set a null-route for the containing
/24 and put an end to that.  ;)

I've looked at logs, watched processes... nothing is jumping out at me
other than these are 5106R boxes.   I'm not looking for a magic fix
(although if you've got one, don't be stingy!)   I just thought I would
mention my observation in case anyone else has witnessed same.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services