[BlueOnyx:12400] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Dave Park plastic at plasticuser.com
Tue Mar 5 12:10:29 -05 2013

Oh, I said up front I was just dreaming...

To be clear, I'm not asking you to do it, just saying that, in the context
of other wishful items people were discussing, ARM would be nice :)

Also, I understand the complete impracticality of porting something for
three months that won't feed you or pay your rent. I just wish I had a more
rounded skill set so I could take it on...

I think it would benefit the community as a whole, but it would be deeply
destructive to the fragile balance you have now, and would be a compromise
nobody could reasonably ask you to make... Without a suitcase of cash.

Dave

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> > I think you might be surprised. There are now over 1.2 million Raspberry
> > Pis in the world, and any supported distribution gets well promoted by
> > the site. One of the commonest requests is for a simple-to-use/maintain
> > LAMP stack, and I don't think it gets any better than BO.
>
> You see, generally this is the kind of challenges that I'd really like
> to take on - in an ideal world: Just throw me the gear and let me lock
> myself up for a month or three and see what I can crank out. But then
> again: I doubt that it's commercially viable to go that route. If it's
> available free of charge, it might get a good reception, but will never
> pay off the development costs, nor the costs for maintaining it. And as
> soon as you attach a price tag to it, hardly anyone will buy it.
>
> I always had a faible for computers with a small footprint. Be it the
> various Mini-ITX boards, the RISC or ARM architecture. My first hands on
> exposure to the world of computing was actually a Sinclair ZX Spectrum
> (yes, rubber keys!), then the Schneider CPC, the C=64 and the Amiga,
> before it all went "IBM-compatible" (which is a contradiction in itself
> <g>)  with the first 286. I find it still sad that the inherently much
> worse design ("IBM-compatible") won the race both on the consumer market
> as well as in the corporate world. But that's water down the drain.
>
> Yes, even today there there is a lot of good opportunities for RISC and
> ARM powered gear. However, I don't see much potential for BlueOnyx on
> things like the Raspberry Pi. The 512MB RAM are also a limiting factor,
> where it already from the start would make sense not to use Apache, but
> something with a lighter footprint.
>
> Ah, I already start dreaming of doing it <g>. But it would be three
> months of my life that I won't be getting back in any way or form. :-)
>
> It's also like Chris said: The current server hardware is cheap and I
> don't see people throwing their servers away to re-purchase them with a
> different architecture that (to the outside world) just does the same
> things a little more efficient and in a better way.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

 "At present, not all the possibilities implied by the above are
implemented."

    -- Tony Firshman, 1999