[BlueOnyx:12421] Re: 5106R performance issues

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Mar 5 16:42:52 -05 2013

Jim,

> If that happens again, try "service rsyslog restart", and then "service sendmail restart".
>
> The first restarts the logging services, which cansometimes hang in the process ofstarting a new set of logs.  But if that keeps happening - you've got adeeper problem that should beinvestigated/addressed.
>
> Thanks. I've never been able to run "service xxx restart" - I get anerror message like "bash: service: command not found". I did find"syslog" in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory and did a "./syslogrestart" from there and the log is running fine on that VPS now.
>
>--

Jim
Matysek

Hi Jim,

Glad that fixed the logging for you.  Since you've got "syslog" and not the newer "rsyslog" - I assume that you're running the 5106R BlueOnyx, and not the newer 5107R/5108R.  But that "service" command should still work for you.

I'm assuming that since you were able to restart syslog - you must be root, not logged in as a user.  And root's default path should include the /sbin directory where the "service" command is located.  You might try the command "echo $PATH" to see the directories that Linux will search when you issue a command.  It should include /sbin.

If not - I suspect that you're changing to root without assuming root's environment.  You're probably using the "su" command by itself instead of using "su -".  The second way "su -" will assume root's complete environment when you change user to root, and root's default search paths should include /sbin.  Give that a try, and then see if the "service" command will work for you.

Chuck