[BlueOnyx:12426] Re: 5106R performance issues

Ken Marcus kenlists at precisionweb.net
Tue Mar 5 18:24:57 -05 2013

On 3/5/2013 11:12 AM, Jim Matysek wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>> -- ActiveMonitor reports "The FTP server is not running and could not be
>> restarted."
>>
>> -- ActiveMonitor reports "The SMTP server is not running and could not
>> be restarted."
>>
>> -- Periodic "The CPU is being moderately used alerts.
> We've seen the ones above recently also, particularly the FTP server not
> running. We've got 3 BX VPS instances in Aventurin{e} and more often
> than not all 3 will report the FTP issue at the same cron interval and
> then be fine at the next 15 minute check. If I see the email about it
> and go immediately to FTP in to that box, it has always worked for me,
> although sometimes that initial connection takes a fair amount longer
> than usual. The other two are more sporadic for us, but there is a
> slight increase lately.
>
> I also have not found anything when poking around for this. Let me know
> if you ever do.
>
> I also have had 2 or 3 cases now of the maillog sitting at 0 size and
> nothing logged there, even though mail is otherwise running fine.
> Nothing found in the messages log indicating a problem either.
> Restarting sendmail doesn't resolve this. Anyone have a suggestion for
> something else to try short of rebooting that VPS (which is what I've
> resorted to)?

I seem to recall that when the first resolver listed  is not working or
very slow, then the FTP would show those messages.  I don't know why it
would be related but it seems to be.

Also, if you edit the   /usr/sausalito/swatch/bin/am_ftp.exp and add
"set timeout 30" on the line before "spawn telnet localhost 21", that
will probably reduce your false alarms.

set timeout 30
spawn telnet localhost 21

Ken Marcus