[BlueOnyx:12443] Re: limit FTP Directory

Drew Happli drew at happli.org
Wed Mar 6 08:52:15 -05 2013

Can the user be added to the group that owns the web directory with
the Symlink to that web directory?

I have done that on RedHat, and
Debian boxes in the past.

Though it can cause security issues if you
host multiple virtual sites all with the same group ownership.

Drew.

On 03/06/2013 12:11 am, Gregg wrote:

> Anyone else have a thought on
this? How would I be able to limit the user to just the web directory
?

<greggk1 at cox.net> wrote:

>> FROM: blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it
[mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it] ON BEHALF OF Matthew Komar

SENT: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:27 PM
>> TO: BlueOnyx General Mailing
List
>> SUBJECT: [BlueOnyx:12423] Re: limit FTP Directory
>>
>> Can
you give them a regular user account and use symlinks for the web root?

>> if I do that though they would not be able to upload / add or
delete files from the /web folder.

>> On Mar 5, 2013 5:25 PM,
"Gregg" <greggk1 at cox.net> wrote:

>> I have a client that wants to
hire someone to do his website, but he wants to limit the designer to
the /web directory only.

>> Under the BO you can setup a user as
site admin, but as site admin they also can get to the root of the site
which includes certificates, all of the logs, the users etc. The first
think I thought was to limit the users directory to the /web directory
in the passwd file, but the passwd file no longer contains the users.
How else would I be able to limit this user to just the /web directory
for the site?

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gregg

Links: