[BlueOnyx:12477] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Dave Park plastic at plasticuser.com
Thu Mar 7 11:44:55 -05 2013

I'm using a Kingston 32GB class 10 SDHC card. It manages a reasonable
20MB/sec, but has about zero latency. For the few dozen sites I host on the
4-core Athlon BO machine behind me, which draws about 50W and has a load
average of 0.00, I may as well get it onto the Pi, which shows a load of
0.00 over 15 mins too :) I just don't like using the more mainstream tools
and thought it would be fun to get BO on it, and have a yum repository to
keep it updated.

I have been using the 2x16 card to cycle through displaying load averages,
data volumes in/out, pages served in the last 60 minutes/24 hrs, and
various TOP stats like memory, pages, etc. It's just a simple python script.

Also, as an aside, the Raq PSU is overkill, and is a standard
telecommunications PSU that sometimes fetches over $50 on eBay - I've seen
them sell for $110 - probably worth more than the rest of the box put
together. :)

Dave

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> > As a side note, I have already implemented the 2x16 LCD and buttons
> > interface on a daughter card, so this is a plug and play replacement
> > board for old Raqs. Also, in my tests with one with Debian Wheezy and a
> > LAMP stack it's about 20x faster than a 512Mb Raq4i @ 450 MHz - mostly
> > due to the solid state storage.
>
> Hmmm ... this gets more and more interesting, indeed. What storage are
> you using in your tests?
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

 "At present, not all the possibilities implied by the above are
implemented."

    -- Tony Firshman, 1999