[BlueOnyx:12493] Re: Upgrading Switch

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Mar 8 12:56:22 -05 2013

I've been staying away from this thread as long as I could.   ;)

When we built our datacenter and our satellite POPs, we did so with
Cisco infrastructure.  We come from back in the day when 7507 routers
and 5513 switches were state-of-the-art.  That's when we first became
responsible for managing our own infrastructure.   Of course, we have
progressed a long way since those times.

Personally, I can get around in IOS and CatOS.  CatOS got a real bad
rap, and I think it was a mistake to create something with a different
syntax.  Obviously, Cisco agreed and later killed CatOS off.  But we
still have some devices that are running it.  We have a handful of
Catalyst5505's still doing duty, and they've logged THOUSANDS of days of
continuous uptime.

The "real" Cisco gear works, works well, is utterly reliable and, like
it or not, is the industry standard by which all others are judged.
You'll always notice that when comparisons are made, it's always with a
Cisco as a reference point.  I'm not saying there are not other great
manufacturers.  There certainly are, and other vendors have a bunch of
good things that recommend them.   But for us, we have no reason to
change our infrastructure & network backbone.

When it comes to making recommendations for customer equipment, I always
say you won't be "wrong" for choosing Cisco.  That's always a right
answer.  Not the only right answer, mind you.  But you won't be wrong.

Just make sure that if you do go Cisco, it's "real" Cisco.   That
Linksys stuff that's branded Cisco... what a mistake that was.  Chances
are, if your Cisco is blue/green, you're good to go.   If it's black,
take it back!

I don't sell the equipment, and I honestly don't have any interest if
you buy any particular brand.  But if you ask me my experience, and what
I see that customers bring in and what works vs. what doesn't?  Well,
here's a sampling:

Cisco:	If it's "real", it's going to work.  We can even help you config it.

Cisco-branded Linksys:  Nope. Not worth it.  In my view, it's overpriced
junk.

Juniper: Seems to be solid.

HP ProCurve:  I can count on one finger the problems I have seen with them.

Dell PowerConnect:  Run, do not walk, from this garbage as fast as you
can.   It has pseudo-management that theoretically allows you to divide
into VLANs, but offers no SNMP whatsoever?  And no proper CLI?  What's
up with that?  Junk.

Dell ProConnect: Seems OK for low traffic (ie: anything under 20Mbps to
the gateway).  Will lock up much past that, and is utterly incapable of
handling wirespeed on more than 4 ports.

Dlink:  Surprisingly solid.   I had my doubts, and the CLI is a little
odd, but I think that's more a matter of familiarity.

And then there's all the unmanaged stuff.   For me, most of that all
sort of runs together.  We have customers that I know paid $200 for an
unmanaged 24-port GigE switch from Netgear or similar, and they're only
using 4 ports.   We've put in off-brand 5-port GigE switches that cost
less than $40 for other customers and they've gotten the same kind of
results.

As far as the OP's question goes, you can find some Cisco 3550's for not
a lot of money on ebay these days.   And 2924's are practically free
these days.  Yes, they're old, but they'll still be running after I'm
gone from this Earth.    I'd probably head in one of those directions.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services