[BlueOnyx:12550] Re: Kernel Question

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Mar 16 12:43:48 -05 2013

Hi Maurice,

>> > There is/was a long-term fix in the works, but obviously there is a lot
>> > of scope for this going wrong if it were deployed to lots of machines!
>
> Wasn't there an update release to address this?

It's fixed for new Scientific Linux based BlueOnyx installs, as I worked
that into the CD installer. This happened earlier last year (April
2012?) or thereabouts.

However, I didn't release a YUM update to fix it automatically on older
SL based BlueOnyx installs. While the fix is trivial, I'm not really
keen to push out an update that has the small chance that hundreds of
servers might not come up after their next reboot.

I have seen isolated cases where /etc/grub.conf (which usually is
perfect) didn't contain all the needed entries, were missing the actual
kernel or had other kernel parameters than the faulty copy in
/boot/grub/grub.conf. So just copying over grub.conf and placing a
symlink might work for 98.5% of the cases. But I can't risk the
potential damage for those where it might not work.