[BlueOnyx:12601] Re: Dovecot dies with anvil too many open files

David Thacker David at ThackerNet.com
Fri Mar 22 09:17:54 -05 2013

> I get these, too, although not with as much regularity. I put dfix in
> place from Solarspeed's free bundle:
>
> http://www.solarspeed.net/blueonyx/free-products/free-bundle.html
>
> It does a remarkable job at stopping these.

Thanks Jeff, I too have Greg Kuhnert's dfix in place and it certainly
helps but doesn't seem to prevent this particular problem.

>> 2. Can anyone suggest a way that the Active Monitor script that
>> recognizes
>> that "The POP server is not running and could not be restarted" could
>> be
>> modified to actually restart Dovecot on its own so I don't have to do
>> it
>> manually?

I've modified the /usr/sausalito/swatch/am_pop.exp AM script for POP
service to try restarting Dovecot twwice with a little longer wait between
restarting and retrying the test login, as I found I had to sometimes
manually restart it twice as well. We'll see...

I changed this:

 catch {exec /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot restart >&/dev/null}
 sleep 3
 # redo test, fail if get an error again

to this:

 # DT 2013-03-22 try to restart dovecot twice with longer wait between
 catch {exec /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot restart >&/dev/null} result
 sleep 4
  echo 'DT Trying Dovecot double restart...' >> /var/log/maillog
  catch {exec /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot restart >&/dev/null} result
  sleep 4
 # redo test, fail if get an error again

Just tested it now by manually stopping dovecot just before the AM event
script, then let AM do its thing. Alas, Dovecot again did not restart, had
to restart it manually :-(

Any other ideas?

Regards,

dAvid tHacker                                  Email: David at ThackerNet.com
Thacker Network Technologies Inc.                http://www.ThackerNet.com