[BlueOnyx:12696] Re: BlueOnyx: Modern Theme Screenshots

Dave Park plastic at plasticuser.com
Sun Mar 31 12:40:10 -05 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>wrote:

> > Ideas:
> > Set up a phpBB support forum or similar for self-support, and link to it
> > from within the admin interface. This site would also be able to offer
> > help with installing drupal, phpBB etc on BX without clogging up this
> > rather wonderful mailing list.
>
> Just to clarify: A forum just inside the GUI for users of this server
> only? Or a public forum for BlueOnyx in general?

A public forum for BX in general. WQith 20k+ machines in use, I think a lot
of the younger crowd would be more familiar and comfortable with the forum
style of support; it's google indexable and locally searchable, etc.

I think having a link somewhere discreet on each admin page to the relevant
subsection of the forum would take someone straight to the exact support,
bug reporting and discussion elements for that page/feature.

> Yeah, that's true, I'm looking at options to greatly expand the scope of
> statistics that can be presented. The old Sausalito way of doing this
> was ugly and the collected data wasn't that great either. As it is/was
> pretty useless, there was never any desire to improve it.
>
> I'm looking at basic things like SysStat ("ar" / "sar" commands) up to
> throwing a modified Milter in that logs Sendmail / Dovecot related
> traffic to MySQL for the presentation of statistics.
>
> However, I can already tell that the statistics and information
> gathering and its presentation will be implemented near the end of the
> development when the usual nuts and bolts stuff is already working very
> well.
>
> As useful as it can be and will be in the end, the basic GUI
> functionality (managing services, sites and users) comes first.

Statistics are a mixed blessing. They can inform or overwhelm.

I see two distinct needs:

An upfront overview of the status of the server, with a simple visual
indication of any resource hogs.

A detailed stats page, like we already have.

I take on board what you say about when you'll be at that stage of the
development process. I'm just getting my $0.02 in now :)

In eternal gratitude for your and everyone else on the team's hard work for
little or no pay or appreciation.

Dave