[BlueOnyx:13030] Re: Deleting site lost some standard DNS entries

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Thu May 16 19:47:04 -05 2013

On 5/16/2013 7:28 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
>> I don't recall ever having added any DNS entries for these addresses - I
>> thought they came with the standard BX install (5106R). How can I
>> restore these entries?
> Under "Site Management" and "Edit Virtual Site Template" you can set up
> some defaults and features for newly created sites. Including "Automatic
> DNS management". Which by default is turned on.
>
> It can be turned on and off individually on a per site basis. If it is
> enabled, then some basic DNS records will be created automatically.
>
> But this also means: If that site is deleted and automatic DNS
> management is turned on for that site, those records will get deleted as
> well.

The problem is that I had two sites - www.site.com and test.site.com.
These were independent sites not created using the BX subdomain
features, as they were originally created years ago under BlueQuartz or
even Raq4 and then just migrated to new servers. When I deleted the
test.site.com site, it removed useful DNS records for the www.site.com
site. Since I'm not creating a new site now, how can I re-create those
records? Are the ftp.site.com, mail.site.com and smtp.site.com records
just A records that I can create in the DNS tool in the GUI? I don't
remember them showing up in the GUI in the past.

As an aside, you may want to put that on the "to do" list to not delete
these other records if any other *.site.com site exists on the server
when you delete another foo.site.com site.

--
Jim