[BlueOnyx:14003] Problem setting interface alias netmask to 255.255.255.255

Menno Jansz menno at jansz.com
Wed Nov 13 05:44:06 -05 2013

Hi,

I'm having a problem trying to set my interface alias netmask to
255.255.255.255.

The GUI complains saying "Sorry, 255.255.255.255 is not a valid netmask.
Please enter a series of four numbers between 0 and 255 separated by
periods. For example, 255.255.255.0 is a valid entry."

My hosting provider has instructed me that my Interface Alias ips, what
they call failover ips, are misconfigured because the netmask is
255.255.255.0 and that this is causing unnecessary arp who-has requests on
the network. And they are threatening to block my ip if I dont sort it in
the next 24 hours!

They have instructed me to set the aliases as follows:

DEVICE="eth0:0"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="IP.FAIL.OVER"
NETMASK="255.255.255.255"
BROADCAST="IP.FAIL.OVER"

Any ideas how I comply with their request? If I just manually edit the
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:x scripts I assume the GUI
sausalito scripts will just overwrite them again?

Cheers,
Menno