[BlueOnyx:13781] Re: WEB Alias problems

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Oct 1 15:43:05 -05 2013

Hi Tom,

On 10/1/2013 3:17 PM, wcstaff at webcoast.com wrote:
> Chris,
> Chris Thank you for help. Unfortunately I'm on my own here, this is my own
> box and I'm smart enough to be dangerous.. So I read a lot then ask.

Ah! I see.  OK, we'll do our best.

>>> I'm having a problem with WEB Aliases not working correctly.
SNIP!
>> What you may wish to try is from the BlueOnyx GUI, click to edit the
>> site that is giving you a problem.   In the Services > Web settings,
>> remove anything that is in the Web Server Aliases field, click Save, then
> after it is done saving, put the content that should be in Web Server
> Aliases back, click Save again.
>>
>> After clearing out your browser cache, try pulling up with just the domain
> again and it should work.
SNIP!
> I read one of your earlier posts mentioning this and I earlier tried to edit
> the site that is giving you a problem.   In the Services Web settings, I
> removed anything that is in the Web Server Aliases field, clicked Save, then
> put the content that should be in Web Server Aliases back, click Save again.
> I also manually edited the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site# files and looked for
> missing alias entries. Some were missing on certain domains and others were
> all there. Strangely some that had missing alias entries worked fine, while
> other that had all the alias entries listed would not redirect to the proper
> www.website.

Michael Stauber gave another good suggestion that I forgot about:
The email- and web-alias stuff could possibly be fixed by running this
script as root:
/usr/sausalito/sbin/fix_web-and-email-server-aliasses.pl

> Yes it is one of the IP addresses assigned to my server and I can reach the
> server using it. The IP is also reachable from outside my NET. I have "A"
> records set correctly for mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com. I have an mx
> record set for the mail.mydomain.com. The thing is I get no error messages
> at all. The mail server is functioning fine. However all incoming mail stops
> being received by all users and any mail I send shows sent, but the
> receiving party never sees it. I tested it with a couple of the mx tester
> websites and it can never be reached. Today when I put the ip back to the
> original ip address the mail started to flow in about 30 minutes and I
> received a ton of undeliverable error messages.

Are you using any sort of port-forwarding or firewall/router with NAT?
  You may need to make sure that you have your rules set properly there.

Otherwise, so long as the email server is on a valid IP address on the
server, it should respond.   Have you tried a manual test from your
workstation?   From a command prompt, you can do:
telnet ip.add.re.ss 25
(with a real IP address, of course).   If you get a response from
Sendmail, it's working.  If not, something is still wrong.

>>> 1.I've installed blacklists on the GUI under email, but they don't seem
>>> to do anything. I get the same spam with or without them
>
>> That's not necessarily an indicator the RBLs are not working - just that
>> the email that's hitting your box isn't coming from blacklisted IPs.
>
> I guess my statement was harsh. I should have said I have some doubts. The
> reason I mentioned it is because the spam has increased. I was using a
> mailscanner setup on the last box. But I saw I could add them in the GUI
> under email. So I thought I'd give it a try. Maybe it has something to do
> with the GUI false reports. Where would I look in the shell to see these
> addons?

Please don't misunderstand the inclusion of Blacklists in the GUI as a
replacement for spam filtering.   It's not one in the same.  If you want
a high level of filtering, I highly recommend AV-SPAM.   It's the only
way to go.   Blacklists are very rudimentary.

You won't find any "false reports" for Blacklists, because there cannot
be such a thing.   An IP is either listed or not.    And of course
depending on what Blacklists you have configured in the GUI, some may
get a better hit rate for you than others.

> Actually I meant WebApplications / Setup SQL. When I click Test MySQL
> Credentials, it fails. My password is set correctly. I do see under Network
> Services / MySQL / MySQL Status, there is a message: "MySQL cannot be
> established. Check settings."

It's a simple authentication error.   You may be typing what you think
is the correct password, but that's not what MySQL thinks.   Try a
manual reset at CLI.   There's a guide here for that:
http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=cmu-migrations

Or if there is already something set and the above fails, then this may
be of help:
http://gnuski.blogspot.com/2012/02/resetting-mysql-root-password-red-hat.html

>>> 6.API always reports "you're not doing this right" no matter what
>>> settings I use
>
>> Can you be more specific?   I've not seen the "you're not doing this
>> right" message.    VIRTBIZ was the first application for the BlueOnyx
>> API and we have been successfully using it on our 5108R systems.   What
>> exactly is happening that is causing you to see an error?
>
> It states in the documentation that when typing
> .https://<server-ip>:81/base/api/index.php in your browser if something is
> wrong, the only message you will receive is "you're not doing this right". I
> type https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:81/base/api/index.php and get the message. I
> think it has something to do with https settings. I've never used them.

What software are you utilizing the API with?

>>> 7.Under Active Monitor/Network Status, it reports eth2 and eth3
>>> malfunctioning. There is no ethy2 or eth3
>
>> It looks to me like this is related to #4 above.  I suspect you have
>> changed your NIC configuration somehow.   You may need to remove the NIC
>> configs (hw addresses) from udev and then reload udev (or reboot).
>
> Yes, I just need to know where to go to fix all this. There are so many
> linked files, I was afraid to edit any.

In the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Look for lines that appear something like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="6e:97:f0:8b:ff:96", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
NAME="eth0"

and comment or delete them.   Then reboot.   The server will
automatically detect the installed NICs again.

> Chris Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. And I apologize if
> there are many same posts from me. When I didn't receive my copy to the
> list, I resent the message a few times.

Not to "scold" you here, but the installation method of loading in one
system, then moving the drives to another system and continuing on is
not one I would recommend at all.   Each system should receive its own
installation.   Sure, it can be done the way you have done it, or of
course it's possible to swap drives from a failed system into a
different box.  But as RHEL and its clones continue to get more
sophisticated / complicated / integrated, that begins to create unique
problems.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services