[BlueOnyx:14292] Re: updatedb strange behavior

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jan 22 09:02:56 -05 2014

Tag, Dirk!

On 1/22/2014 12:43 AM, Dirk Estenfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since last night I see a strange behavior at some 5208R (SL, 64bit).
> The updated command is running with 100%
>
> 22592 root      20   0  230m 3296  900 S 99.4  0.3   2060:51 updatedb
>
> since the night from 20.01. to 21.01.
> I cannot see pid or process with ps aux:
>
> [root at 4dconcepts2 log]# ps aux| grep 22592
> [root at 4dconcepts2 log]# ps aux| grep updatedb
>
> (no result)
>
> I can find nothing in /var/log with a "grep -r updatedb *"
>
> I can kill updatedb in top and load will decrease immediately.
>
> It is happening in the moment at a couple of BO Servers. I will kill the process now.
>
> Any suggestions?

updatedb is run as part of the daily cron to update the locate database.
   That is used whenever you want to use the locate command to find a
filename.   It's a normal task that does take some resources.   The idea
is that the resources are chewed up when you are least likely to need
them (ie: when the daily cron is run, default at 4AM.)

If you don't want to update the locate database automatically every
night, then you can always remove the cron job.   To do that, just
remove mlocate.cron out of /etc/cron.daily/

I hope that helps.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services