[BlueOnyx:15443] Re: Secondary dns problem on BO

Janwillem Ronken jw at veritekglobal.eu
Wed May 21 19:15:26 -05 2014

Hi Michael
Yes I did nslookup mail.mydomain.mx x.x.x.x (btw the ns2 and ns1 are running
5106, ns3 5108 at Virtbiz for testing)
On the console I get the right answer (logical, as the zone is transfered to
the slave ns2). But.. In /var/log/messages no entries.
If I do a check from one of those dns check sites, it just complains about
no TCP connection (which seems weird as I am not blocking anything/anywhere
on my network).
I would expect with extended logging to see things happen in the logfile,
but no. Not here. Not today.maybe because ³no connection, so no log"
I just moved the IP from ns2 to another 5106 and added all zones there as
secondaryŠ and guess what: it works there.
So just one 5106 refuses to connect on TCP queries. (but does zone transfer
and handles nslookup so is basically working well). Problem solvedfor now
(not in a way that I like because I don¹t know the *why*Š)
That¹s for another day,
Chris, Michael thanks for your help so far!
Best
janwillem

> Enabling logging does not show any entries (well, only 1 entry
> showing all options set in /var/log/messages), nothing seems to
> happen.. Even when doing a nslookup with the ns2 specified as server,
> no log entries.

Just to clarify:

You're using "nslookup one-of-your-domains.com IP-of-NS2"?

Like "nslookup smd.net 127.0.0.1"?

And that produces no output, no log entry and no error message on the
console?

What happens if you restart the nameserver on the shell? If there is a
problem with the DNS records, it might say so during the restart:

/sbin/service named restart