[BlueOnyx:15978] Re: Uppercase in email addresses

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Sep 18 08:20:26 -05 2014

On 9/18/2014 8:03 AM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> On 09/18/2014 07:15 AM, Lew Berry wrote:
>> Doesn't really matter as far as the alias goes, the addresses aren't case sensitive. The end user or recipient will probably never see the address as entered in the GUI.  The only place the functionality is needed is in the email client for display, mail from, signature, etc.. Most clients already have that functionality.
> Functionality is required in the email server.

I think what Lew is saying is that the functionality already exists.
If you set up john.doe at domain.tld on the BlueOnyx server, it will send
and receive email from John.Doe at DoMain.tld since the email server is not
case-sensitive.

Therefore, what shows in the BlueOnyx GUI is really a cosmetic issue.
The user will still be able to utilize any permutation of the upper- and
lower-case.  They're free to set it up however they like in their mail
client (incl. webmail).

What we don't want is to enable case-sensitivity in the email server
where (for example) sales and Sales could be distinct usernames.   Can
you imagine the trainwreck that would ensue?

I hope that helps...
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services