[BlueOnyx:16021] Re: spamd: failed to create readable default_prefs: /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Sep 24 11:38:35 -05 2014

Hi Gerald,

> Sep 23 06:58:01 mail spamd[13018]: spamd: failed to create readable
> default_prefs: /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/user_prefs

This is intended behavior and nothing to worry about.

When SpamAssassin processes emails for users, it checks if the user in
question has a .spamassassin directory with a user_prefs config file in it.

If so, the per-user configuration of SpamAssassin is used for processing
that email.

If a user does not yet have a .spamassassin directory with a user_prefs
file in it, SpamAssassin attempts to create one with a copy the default
configuration for future usage.

However: Not all email terminates locally at a local user account. If
you are checking outgoing mail as well, or if inbound email is forwarded
to a remote recipient, then the recipient doesn't have a local account.
He then doesn't have a .spamassassin directory either.

SpamAssassin then uses /var/spool/mqueue as home directory and attempts
to create a .spamassassin directory. That fails and the email is then
simply processed with the default server wide SpamAssassin configuration
settings. Just like we want it to behave.

So it is all good. There is no need to intervene here, as it works as
intended.