[BlueOnyx:18727] Re: SSL Certificates (via Let's Encrypt) - available for 5209R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Dec 6 13:55:18 -05 2015

Hi Tigerwolf,

> My interest in it was it *seemed* like it would support BX-hosted
> sub-domains, which seems to turn rather expensive quickly with most
> Cert providers that provide 'free' single domain certs.

Indeed. Yeah, generally it supports sub-domains, but with the current
beta rate-limits in place you won't be able to get all of them in one
day or just a few days.

> I kind of got this impression from their website.  At the time I saw it,
> didn't have time to try it.  From what you've said, it's a kludgy (and
> rather fragile) mess.

Yeah, that's sadly the case. I also don't like the mentality behind it.
They designed their software without giving any thought about the
expectations or limitations of the audience. The dependency of Python 3
(what they want, but 2.7 barely works, too) excludes the majority of
RHEL based OS's and anything else that's not bleeding edge. I don't get
it why you would need bleeding edge for a simple API client.

> Perhaps it would be possible to work with them on cleaning up the
> procedure they're using.

I doubt it. There is a certain entrenched mindset <shrug>.