[BlueOnyx:18765] Re: Gneric question on 5208R DNS

danny danny at missing.com
Thu Dec 10 16:53:42 -05 2015

What toes your resolve.conf look like?

Sent via the missing mobile gateway.

-------- Original message --------
From: Larry Smith <lesmith at ecsis.net>
Date:12/10/2015  1:34 PM  (GMT-08:00)
Subject: [BlueOnyx:18764] Re: Gneric question on 5208R DNS

On Thu December 10 2015 13:49, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> > Have recently loaded several 5208R servers to replace some older
> > bluequartz and such and have noticed that none of them will connect
> > to NewLinQ unless I enable DNS on the box itself.
>
> Uuuh ... no, that should *not* be the case. Your server needs to be able
> to resolve DNS. But it doesn't need to run the DNS server.
>
> Having said that: Your server needs working DNS resolution for a lot of
> things:
>
> - YUM updates
> - Email (sending/receiving)
> - Hostname lookups on connections (FTP, Email, HTTP, SSH and others)
> - GeoIP (if enabled and used)
> - NewLinQ
> - RSS News feed in the GUI
>
> > Just curious what under the hood is doing that as each box has valid
> > nameservers defined and can identify www.blueonyx.it and talk to the
> > network
>
> In the GUI go to "Server Management" /  "System Settings" / "TCP/IP".
>
> There you can specify "DNS Servers", where you enter which DNS servers
> your BlueOnyx will use for all DNS resolutions that it needs to perform.
>
> If you want to use the BlueOnyx DNS service on your own box, you would
> enter "127.0.0.1" or your own servers IP there. But you can also enter
> the IP of any other DNS server that would respond to queries. Such as
> "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4", which are the public Google DNS servers. Or
> you'd enter the DNS servers that your uplink provider or datacenter
> provides for such purposes.

Michael,

  Agree, 100%, but on the last three servers I have loaded, I enter my
settings for IP, mask, gateway, and DNS (generally at least two but I have
8 primary dns servers).  Ping, email, all other functions seem to work fine,
but I cannot access newlinq and the intro (blueonyx news) does not work
unless I enable DNS on the box itself.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net