[BlueOnyx:18824] Mailman list creation issues.

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Thu Dec 17 14:32:04 -05 2015

I used the BX GUI to attempt to create a Mailman list for the main
machine (not a Vsite):

1. Enable mailman under Network Services/MailMan
      It generated a password that's now listed on that page
2. Go to "Mailman Admin Interface"
     Inside the GUI it gives you Mailman
           "bobcat.tigerden.com mailing lists - Admin Links"
     page which has a 'create new mailing list' link.
3. Following that link gives an embedded GUI Mailman
     "Create a bobcat.tigerden.com Mailing List" page.
4. Filled in details for the new list on the page.
5. At the bottom of the page is a blank for the
      "List creator's (authentication) password:"
     which is presumably the auto-generated password listed on the BX
     Network Services/MailMan page seen in step 1 above.

List creation fails with
     Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists"

I've also tried entering the root, admin, and extra site admin user
     passwords as the list creator authorization, and they all fail with
     the same error.

The initial "bobcat.tigerden.com mailing lists - Admin Links" in step 2
above also mentions:
      "To visit the administrators configuration page for an
       unadvertised list, open a URL similar to this one, but with a '/'
       and the list name appended."

If you go there: "http://bobcat.tigerden.com/mailman/admin/mailman"
you get a "Mailman Administrator Authentication" page which wants
a password.  However:  the bottom of the page lists the owner as
'admin at localhost.localdomain' and the links provided also go to
"localhost.localdomain" for the Mailman administrative interface.

If the auto-generated password is entered, you get a normal looking
    "Mailman mailing list administration General Options Section"

page which is pre-filled out with admin at localhost.localdomain as the list
owner.  ALL links on the page refer to 'localhost.localdomain' which are
not legitimate and fail since the server is normally accessed by it's
assigned hostname from outside.

What am I doing wrong?

(Note that I have successuflly created Vsite lists using the admin GUI on
the same box, and those all have the appropriate Vsite host names in
associated page links.)

--
=^_^=  Tigerwolf