[BlueOnyx:18826] Web Alias Redirect and SSL bug?

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Thu Dec 17 15:01:19 -05 2015

Running 5208. We have a site with SSL enabled and Web Alias Redirect
enabled so that site.com is allowed as well as www.site.com. The problem
is that regular requests and SSL requests behave differently.

When you browse to site.com, you're redirected to www.site.com. That's
what we want.

When you browse to https://site.com, you stay at https://site.com. We
don't want that - we want behavior consistent with the non-secure pages.

I looked in the sitex file in /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts and see the following:

In the non-secure <VirtualHost /[IPAddress]/:80> section, the following
lines appear:

ServerName www.site.com
ServerAlias site.com
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                !^/[IPAddress]/(:80)?$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                !^www.site.com(:80)?$ [NC]

RewriteRule ^/(.*)                      http://www.site.com/$1 [L,R=301]

While in the secure <VirtualHost *:443> section, these lines appear:

ServerName www.site.com
ServerAlias site.com
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                !^/[IPAddress]/(:443)?$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                !^www.site.com(:443)?$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^site.com(:443)?$ [NC]

RewriteRule ^/(.*)                      https://www.usms.org/$1 [L,R=301]

Deleting that red highlighted line and restarting apache makes the
https://site.com redirection work just like the non-secure version. Is
this is bug that needs to be fixed in BX? I'm sure that the next time I
update something, my manually edited file will be overwritten with that
bad line in it again.

--
Jim