[BlueOnyx:18850] Re: named-chroot on 5209R

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Sat Dec 19 11:01:46 -05 2015

Hi Michael,

> FWIW: I found out why Bind only started working again after you copied
> the zone files from the chroot zone file directory to the normal zone
> file directory.
>
> The RedHat guys did something really strange: The unit file (the
systemd
> startup script) for named-chroot now has a test in it. That test calls
> binary and tells it to verify if the zone files and DNS config in
> general are valid.
>
> So guess where it looks for the zone files? Of course in the un-jailed
> directory and not inside the jail! So if named.conf has any zones
> listed, then named-checkconf will not see them and declares the config
> as invalid. Result: named-chroot will not start.

I knew something had changed, as I don't mess with much on my server.
Should I leave the zone files in the "/var/named" dir? Or is it ok to
delete them?

Also,  I am now repeatedly receiving the following error messages, after
the YUM update was performed yesterday morning at 6:01am.:

"Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum"
"/etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic:
Error - multiple IP accounting references detected - trying to fix"

"/etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic:
Another app is currently holding the xtables lock. Perhaps you want to
use the -w option?"

I have not modified anything on the server, except when I copied my zone
files from "/var/named/chroot/var/named" to "/var/named".
I'm only mentioning this because of the last YUM update 12/16/2015
changes.

Thank you so much for all you do. I am saying this for all of us here!
Tom