[BlueOnyx:17121] Re: Sorry, the email alias, admin, is already in use on this system. Please choose another.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Feb 24 20:33:38 -05 2015

Hi Chris,

> "Sorry, the email alias, admin, is already in use on this system. Please
> choose another."
> "Email aliases were not created for this user. "

I just did some digging on this:

cced(smd)[21265]: client 6:handlers/base/email/personal.pl: CREATE
EmailAlias fqdn = "s28.smd.net" site = site1 action = s28_admin alias =
admin
cced(smd)[21265]: handler handlers/base/email/validate_alias.pl failed
cced(smd)[21265]: client 6:handlers/base/email/personal.pl: CREATE failed
cced(smd)[21265]: handler handlers/base/email/personal.pl failed

So when an attempt is made to set "admin" as email-alias for a user the
two handlers email/validate_alias.pl and email/personal.pl raise the
error message that the alias is already in use.

This because there are CODB database entries for "ProtectedEmailAlias"
that treat "admin" as a reserved system alias:

[root at 5209r ~]# /usr/sausalito/bin/cceclient
100 CSCP/0.99
200 READY
find ProtectedEmailAlias alias = admin
104 OBJECT 40
104 OBJECT 67
201 OK
get 40
102 DATA NAMESPACE = ""
102 DATA CLASSVER = "1.0"
102 DATA build_maps = "1"
102 DATA CLASS = "ProtectedEmailAlias"
102 DATA action = "admin"
102 DATA alias = "admin"
102 DATA site = "site1"
102 DATA OID = "40"
102 DATA fqdn = "s28.smd.net"
102 DATA local_alias = "0"
201 OK

I looked at where the "ProtectedEmailAlias" entries are generated and
how the system treats them.

In short: There is no easy fix for this. The current implementation of
reserving the alias "admin" and not making it available to Vsite users
might not be perfect. But we have to draw a line somewhere. We're not
making "postmaster" or "root" available as Vsite alias either. Would we
allow "admin" or do we draw the line right there?

The "fix" of shaking "admin" loose would require an unproportional
amount of work and might have ill side effects. So it might happen
eventually, but I'd rather not do it.

So please ask the client to use another alias instead. "admin" is a
reserved alias for the time being.