[BlueOnyx:17125] Re: Sorry, the email alias, admin, is already in use on this system. Please choose another.

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Feb 24 23:03:04 -05 2015

On 2/24/2015 7:44 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:

> This is actually the intended behavior. Certain email aliases such as
> "root", "admin", "postmaster", "abuse" and others are reserved and go to
> the "admin" account of the server instead.

Alert, alert!  I don't recall this being the case on earlier systems, so
just for grins, I went to one of our 5208R boxes that had been upgraded
from a 5108R installation.  It's a standalone.  I just picked a site and
user at random, went to Basic Settings for the account, added "admin" as
an alias, and saved.   Sure enough, it works.

So it worked at one point (as also evidenced by Noel's telling us he
previously had admin@ aliases that now appear broken after migrating to
a new server).   That seems to indicate that something has changed.

Now, the question of whether or not to allow admin et. al. as aliases...
Others may find fault with my opinion here, but I think it's a bit
arcane to prevent a vsite from having an "admin" alias (or the others,
actually).

While I understand the origins of the restriction, I also feel that in
2015 it's a bit dated.  An obsolete artifact carried over from an
earlier time.

The "brand name" control panels allow admin@ addresses.  Granted, we
don't just do things because the other guys do, but I can understand the
frustration of a customer who is accustomed to being able to use a given
address and they're told "sorry, we can't."

That's my 2 cents on the matter, and I may be missing something
important that makes my argument invalid.  However, I'd like to consider
(if not immediately, then at least have it in the considerations bin)
eliminating the restrictions.

 > The "fix" of shaking "admin" loose would require an unproportional
 > amount of work and might have ill side effects. So it might happen
 > eventually, but I'd rather not do it.

Now that's something I can understand!   If there was a manual for CODB,
I think we'd have a couple folks hacking away at it.  (Me included).

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services