[BlueOnyx:17946] Re: cURL update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jul 2 16:07:33 -05 2015

Hi Colin,

> We have a 5208R server hosting a vsite for a client who has requested
> we update cURL on the server from the stock 7.19.7 to at least 7.34.

Please inquire why he wants to have that updated. The version number of
RPMs on an RHEL clone are not indicative about features or functions, as
RedHat often fixes and backports things and keeps the version number the
same.

>   1.  Are there any gotchas in doing this and if not
>   2.  What is the best way to do this?

PHP is compiled against cURL in order to use it. It *might* break if
cURL is replaced with a newer version. So I'm not sure how trivial or
how complicated that would be. This would require some old fashioned
testing. Like installing a newer cURL and see if it breaks something.

I'd only do that if the specified reason for the upgrade is good enough.