[BlueOnyx:18085] Re: Interface Aliases

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Thu Jul 23 08:29:09 -05 2015

On 07/22/2015 09:54 AM, Jeff Folk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently did a CMU migration from a 5107R to a 5208R. Everything has gone well (except for a change in internet IP and trusting TWC DNS, bad Jeff!)
>
> The one thing I do notice, is that I am unable to define a Interface Alias for the primary (eth0) network interface in the GUI - only the secondary interface (eth1) shows in the drop down menu. Is this by design? I thought that I had assigned an additional public IP on the old box at one time.
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Jeff

I believe your server already has one IP address configured for eth0.
When you now create a new site and put a new IP address, the GUI will automatically create eth0:0 and will associate the new IP as
an Interface Alias to Eth0. When an "alias" IP becomes free (i.e.: no more sites are using it), then it will be removed automatically.