[BlueOnyx:18086] Re: Mysterious /web ownership change

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jul 23 08:35:33 -05 2015

Hi Brian,

On 7/23/2015 1:49 AM, Fungal Style wrote:
> In my scenario the pages would not translate the PHP code to create the
> page as expected and I had to switch between one of the PHP settings and
> then back again. This happened at least twice so I turned off auto
> updates and now perform the updates manually double checking a couple of
> key sites after the update has completed.

I think that our issues are similar but not identical.  In our
particular case, PHP was enabled and was attempting to execute, but
suPHP prevented that from happening as the /web directory had improper
ownership (not owned by the site admin, but was owned by "nobody".)

> Chris: Did you not do any yum updates for some time? as I was suspecting
> it to be a yum update causing it as it only happened 2-3 times on
> mornings when a yum update was done.

Our systems are configured for automatic YUM updates on a daily basis.

While we both have encountered issues with PHP, I think that in my case
it's not so much a PHP issue, but rather an issue of ownership of the
/web directory.

Quite bizarre, to be sure.   Perhaps we can chalk it up to some sites
having been very old, and migrated from legacy systems any number of
times.  The only part that troubles me is why did it become a problem 2
days ago?   Why not before?  There is something that occurred that
caused a change in behavior and I am at a loss to explain why.   That
never gives me warm fuzzy feelings.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services