[BlueOnyx:17870] Re: Re-partition

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Sat Jun 20 22:52:52 -05 2015

Hi Michael,

> How to do that depends on a few factors. Like: Are you using LVM? Or is
> it a "native" partition? In BlueOnyx we usually use LVM as a default.
> Then this also depends on if this is software RAID1 or not using RAID at
> all.

The setup is SL/BlueOnyx, so I'd say LVM. The system has a PERC6 RAID
controller and I setup the entire 2 drives as TRUE Hardware RAID1. The
RAID1 drive reads the full size correctly.

> The mechanisms of how this is actually done depends more on the
> combination of factors (RAID, LVM, native partitions) than on the Linux
> distributions themselves. The "tools" are generally the same:
>
> - resize2fs (resize partition)
> - pvresize (resize LVM)
> - mdadm (can be used to reize raid members)

I have not implemented the new drives yet. And I and still working off the
old drives. So destroying the new ones and having to re-mirror is no
biggie. I agree the CMU is the best way, as I have done it several times,
using your Tutorial. The only thing is using the SL/BO install disk
configures the entire disk size. I wanted to have a separate partition of
500GB to use for other things, outside of the BlueOnyx.
Thanks for the input
Tom