[BlueOnyx:17880] Re: Fresh install 5208R, no RAID1

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Sun Jun 21 21:25:49 -05 2015

On Jun 21, 2015, at 5:57 PM, Tom wrote:

> Where did the drives come from and what brand are they? I believe you said
> the drives were a part of a RAID5 Array? If they were a part of a hardware
> RAID5 Array, you may have to put them back in that server, or another
> server with the same RAID controller, and remove the RAID5 configuration. I
> ran into this issue when upgrading 4 PowerEdge servers and using the old
> server's drives and splitting them up. Everything was configured with
> PERC6i controllers in the old servers. The drives failed to configure in
> the newer servers. I ended up putting them back in their original servers,
> backing them up, and used the controller firmware to remove the RAID.
> Another way, if you don't need to save the data, is to get the drive
> manufacturer's utility software or possible 3rd party software, and low
> level format and reinitialize the drives back to factory settings. I have
> done this many times, when I run across a stubborn drive that has been pre
> configured and will not allow re-partitioning or formatting.
> Tom

Hi Tom,

They were software RAID on CentOS 6 (Actually a SME server install). Was a combination of RAID1 /boot group and RAID5 / on 3 1.5 TB drives, and lost one of the RAID1 members. All drives are WD15EARS drives.

I have no trouble partitioning, formatting or even installing BlueOnyx. The problem is that the installer won't configure the drives in RAID1, instead it combines the 2 drives together as one 3 TB install.

Jeff