[BlueOnyx:18639] Re: 5209R SSL redirection

Lew Berry LCBerry at lcbconsulting.net
Tue Nov 10 16:40:21 -05 2015

Just a couple of thoughts:
If Customer types https://www.hisdomain.tld/webmail into browser for secure webmail doesn't the site have to have an SSL Cert. (and have it enabled)  for https://www.hisdomain.tld/anything to work in the first place? The cert would be issued to host.hisdomain.tld and any trailing directory is irrelevant.
If redirecting to https://www.anothercustomer.tld/webmail, does that mean www.anothercustomer.tld is using the same IP address and BX is showing the first SSL enabled site it finds? Does BX still only allow 1 SSL per IP, or has that changed?
If customer wants SSL for webmail only I would think a different host https://webmail.hisdomain.tld or subdomain would be the way to go with a redirect in hisdomain.tld/webmail pointing to the secure server.

Lew Berry, MCSE, MCT, CSSA
LCB Consulting Inc.

If anyone has some insight on this, it would be helpful.

As it turns out, the way that this is working combined with the change in Roundcube to be as a webapp rather than entire server has turned things into a royal cluster-unpleasantry.

Case in point:   Customer wants only to use https for webmail (reasonable).

Customer does not have SSL enabled on site.

Customer types https://www.hisdomain.tld/webmail into browser, and that redirects to https://www.anothercustomer.tld/webmail

Customer logs in with his account information.

Webmail is blank, missing his address book & ends his email address in the wrong domain since it's pulling out of the webmail installation in the other customer's site.

This essentially makes webmail useless if they're looking to invoke any sense of security.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services