[BlueOnyx:18646] Re: New server, software RAID problem.

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 11 16:09:39 -05 2015

Hi Dick,

On 11/11/2015 12:27 PM, bqlist wrote:
> ----8<----
> "The initial problem was the BlueOnyx installer wanted to only install
> to /dev/sda. With BIOS raid1 setup, the raid array only showed up as
> /dev/md127, causing the installer to halt. To bypass this, I think [we]
> installed it without the BIOS raid, the installation wizard was able to
> complete successfully without a raid array.
>
> I would request the option to manually specify the target installation
> disk. The first disk on a system is not always /dev/sda, as we have seen
> on your server today."
> ---->8----
>
> Is there anything I suggest to reinstall with software raid1? Or should
> I stump up the extra cash for hardware raid?

Your "onboard" RAID controller appears to FAKERAID rather than a true
hardware RAID.   Most likely it it's an onboard controller (ie: Built
into the BIOS).

So what you need to do is completely disable the RAID from your BIOS,
then set the disks up as AHCI (or SATA Enhanced) if possible, or just
plain old SATA if that's all that's left.

Then you'll need to reinstall BlueOnyx, but specify the "nodmraid"
argument during the installation so that the installer will ignore the
FAKERAID partition data that was created by that BIOS controller.

That will get you where you're going.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services