[BlueOnyx:18689] MySQL UTF-8 encoding

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Fri Nov 20 13:59:22 -05 2015

I was reading an article about PHP and MySQL and UTF-8 encoding after
having some issues on some pages. They recommend adding the following
entries in your my.cnf file:

|[client] default-character-set=UTF-8 [mysql] default-character-set=UTF-8
[mysqld] character-set-client-handshake = false #force encoding to uft8
character-set-server=UTF-8 collation-server=UTF-8_general_ci
[mysqld_safe] default-character-set=UTF-8|

Is it safe to add these entries into the my.cnf file via the GUI's MySQL
Config my.cnf editor? My current file only has [mysqld] and
[mysqld_safe] blocks. And will saving it there restart MySQL? (I'm
running 5108R for now).

FYI, in the mysql CLI I get this right now:

mysql> show variables like 'char%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                      |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client     | utf8                       |
| character_set_connection | utf8                       |
| character_set_database   | latin1                     |
| character_set_filesystem | binary                     |
| character_set_results    | utf8                       |
| character_set_server     | latin1                     |
| character_set_system     | utf8                       |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |

-jim