[BlueOnyx:19527] Re: 5209R tarball install

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Apr 27 14:13:10 -05 2016

Hi Maurice,

> I am testing the tarball install of 5209R as described on
> http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=5209r-manual-install

Very well.

> I notice that with the standard partition layout of centos, scripts in
> /tmp remain executable.
> If I create a separate mountpoint for /tmp while installing centos,
> scripts in /tmp are not executable, just like on a regular blueonyx
> install.
> Perhaps it is a good tip to list on the webpage that describes the
> tarball install.

Yeah, that's why we recommend the ISO install. Of course, that's not
always an option for some users. But when you do a tarball-install we
need to make some assumptions. Like that you partitioned in a supported
way, used ext3 or ext4 filesystem (so that quota works) and allocated
sensible amounts of diskspace to the respective partitions.

As far as /tmp goes: We didn't create it for you, as the tarball install
uses the existing partition layout. So our assumption there is: You will
have it mounted the way you prefer it to be.

Mounting /tmp with "noexec" and "nosuid" (like the ISO sets it up) is
really beneficial security wise. However, sometimes there is no separate
/tmp partition available due to limitations of the architecture. Or
people want to compile some things on their server (like PEAR modules)
and that won't work if /tmp is mounted with "noexec,nosuid".

But I agree: We might want to make the suggestion on the tarball
installer page that people consider to change the mount options for /tmp
if theirs is on a separate partition.

> Furthermore, when I, after a successful install of the tarball, try to
> open phpmyadmin in the gui, I get an error. The menu 'Network
> services/Mariadb' shows 'MariaDB Connection possible with this
> settings', but still an error when opening phpmyadmin. How can I correct
> this?
>
> Message: session_start():
> open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_afbb02e776766a08d544c4bb836e89c2, O_RDWR)
> failed: Permission denied (13)

Restart CCEd and a constructor will fix that for you automatically:

/usr/sausalito/sbin/cced.init restart