[BlueOnyx:20396] Re: I would love to see this in BO

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Dec 22 12:09:44 -05 2016

Hi Dirk,
> I did find a solution.
> I build the Mysql-python from source RPM.
> Download ftp://bo.mirror.garr.it/1/slc/slc60alpha/SRPMS/MySQL-python-1.2.3-0.3.c1.1.el6.src.rpm
> rpm -ivh MySQL-python-1.2.3-0.3.c1.1.el6.src.rpm
> cd /rpmbuild/SPECS
> yum install rpm-build
> rpmbuild -ba Mysql-python.spec
> cd ../RPMS/x86_64/
> yum install MySQL-python-1.2.3-0.3.c1.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
>
> Now I was able to do the yum update -y without issues.

Thank you. I just started looking at the issue and that's indeed the
solution.

I'm not really happy with the whole MariaDB-10.1.18 situation and my
first impulse is to pull the package, dump it into a hole, pour gasoline
on it and to set it afire. Might want to throw Merkel into that hole as
well, as it would solve two problems in one go, but that's another
story. ;-)

MariaDB-10.1.18 really creates a dependency mess for anything that's
compiled against the stock MariaDB and we need to be really careful there.

To address this I'll modify the MariaDB-10.1.18 PKG and will release an
updated version later today. The updated version of the PKG will tie
into a separate YUM repository for tertiary packages of things that need
to be compile against the newer MariaDB. Such as the MySQL-Pyhon and
anything else we might run into in the future.

However: This slight compatibility problem (once 10.1.18 is installed)
will still continue to plague us for the time being and there is always
a chance that an OS update introduces a newer version of something
that's compiled against the old MariaDB and doesn't work with the new
one. The only way to get around this would be providing our alternative
RPMs with different Epoch numbers, which isn't perfect either and might
cause other issues. I'll leave the different Epoch numbers out for now
and will give it some thorough considerations as I need to mull over all
the potential implications it might have.