[BlueOnyx:20428] MySQL 5.5.54 for 5107R/5108R/5207R/5208R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Dec 27 17:48:17 -05 2016

Hi all,

I just published updated MySQL-5.5.54 PKGs to NewLinQ for the following
BlueOnyx versions:

- 5107R
- 5108R
- 5207R
- 5208R

This new PKG is a bit of a departure from previous builds. As you might
be aware: Replacing MySQL with a newer version creates dependency
issues. Because certain other binaries are compiled against the specific
version of MySQL that initially shipped with the OS.

On EL6 that usually means (as far as BlueOnyx is concerned):

- PHP
- perl-DBI
- perl-DBD
- MySQL-python

In previous MySQL PKGs we therefore substituted RPMs (or individual
libaries) that were compiled against the updated MySQL to avoid any
outright conflicts.

The new PKG follows a slightly different and better approach: It brings
a new RPM aboard, which is named compat-mysql51 and contains
intermediary libraries that the OS compiled binaries can use to "talk"
to the updated MySQL.

This is a much cleaner and less invasive method of providing an updated
MySQL.

The new MySQL-5.5.54 PKG can be installed both on BlueOnyx servers that
run the "stock" MySQL-5.1.73, or it can be used to upgrade the shop
provided MySQL-5.5.34 to 5.5.54.

As before this PKG can be completely uninstalled. In which case the
original OS provided MySQL-5.1.73 is reinstalled via YUM. We can't roll
back any database changes that happened during the upgrade from 5.1 to
5.5, though. So the database(s) remain as they were.

I'm currently exploring if we can use a similar method for the
MariaDB-10.1 PKG on 5209R as well.