[BlueOnyx:19110] Re: FTP not working

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Feb 8 14:44:46 -05 2016

Hi Michael,

> I had a look at proftpd.conf and it appeared to be missing all of the
> <VirtualHost> settings so I copied the proftpd.conf from a working server,
> changed the IP addresses and restarted xinetd but still no joy.

There are some ways how to get the proftpd.conf back without lots of
manual editing:

Copy the "blank" ProFTPd files that are lacking the VirtualHost
containers into place:

cp /etc/proftpd.conf.dist /etc/proftpd.conf
cp /etc/proftpds.conf.dist /etc/proftpds.conf

Run these scripts to add the VirtualHost containers:

/usr/sausalito/sbin/fixproftpd_conf.pl >> /etc/proftpd.conf
/usr/sausalito/sbin/fixproftpds_conf.pl >> /etc/proftpds.conf

Next step is to check if both /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd and
/etc/xinetd.d/proftpds are present and have good info in them. They
should not be empty files.

Typical contents if enabled:

/etc/xinetd.d/proftpd:

# Start
service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        flags                   = REUSE
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.proftpd
        server_args             = -c /etc/proftpd.conf
        log_on_success          += DURATION
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = no
        instances = 80
}
# End

/etc/xinetd.d/proftpds:

# Start
service ftps
{
        socket_type             = stream
        flags                   = REUSE
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.proftpd
        server_args             = -c /etc/proftpds.conf
        log_on_success          += DURATION
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = no