[BlueOnyx:19170] Re: 5107/5108 Hyper-V image fresh install results in 40GB ?

Jim Scott jscott at infoconex.com
Mon Feb 22 21:54:51 -05 2016

Thanks Michael,

>Please use the 5207R, 5208R or the 5209R ISO's. There really is no
>reason to use the older BlueOnyx versions anymore. Especially not for a
>new install.

Unfortunately I have to use the older install as I have a bunch of customers
used to using openwebmail and I have not been able to figure out what would
be required to use the latest installer and get it working with the
requirement for SUID perl.

>The 5209R ISO is also the newest. Both in terms of software that it
>installs as well as the installer is concerned.

Agreed, I am going to setup a new machine and start to work towards moving
customers on to a new machine for those I can see are not using webmail and
for those dependent on openwebmail work on a strategy for migrating to
something maintained such as roundcube.

>Generally: When you install into a VM using the ISO there are a few
>things to consider: Some forms of virtualization allow you to create
>disks that "grow". Others use a fixed disk size.

Yep, I am creating a expandable disk, it looks like the VHDX format does
something differently than a VHD when you allocate the space. I did test the
newer 5209 install and it did not have the same issue as the 5108 installer
so must be something different about how the older installer is allocating
space.

>Wherever possible: Use the fixed size for the disk(s). Because our
>installer will examine the disk and will try to determine what the
>maximum diskspace is that it can use. It will then use as much as it
>can. Which - in your case - might be 40 GB.

I prefer to stick with expandable disk as most of my customers rarely use
the space allocated and I am able to set a 127GB expandable disk and only
ever really reach 20-30GB of used space, however have the extra space
available if for some reason someone used more.

>So if you need a VM that just uses 20GB, create a disk with a fixed size
>of 20GB (or whatever you need) for BlueOnyx and then install off the
>ISO. And it'll use all of it.

I might try and use this approach, create a 10GB expandable disk and then
use the built in utility to expand the disk afterwards to something larger.
If things work as you indicated the install process would not use more than
the first setup space and then an expansion would allow it to grow larger
afterwards.

I am not familiar with linux partition utilities but I would assume that if
I grew my disk afterwards I would also then need to expand the allocated
partitions to use the extra space. I will search how to do this but if you
had any guidance that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim